|Salzburg's Cathedral Museum was
founded in 1974 and is installed in the southern
oratories of the Cathedral, the southern
Cathedral arches and the adjacent Long Aisle -
the old "Court Gallery".
The exhibits range from the Anglo-Saxon St.
Rupert's crucifix (8th century), exquisite
objects from the Cathedral treasure (e.g. Prince
Archbishop Wolf Dietrich's monstrance) to the
curiosities of the royal Art and Rarities
The museum's exhibitions include:
- The objects of the Cathedral treasure: liturgical
utensils and vestments from the 12th - 18th
centuries. The most prominent exhibits are the
Eucharistic dove (Limoges, 1st quarter of the
13th century) and the jewel-studded monstrance
(court goldsmith Ferdinand Sigmund Amende, 1697).
- Loan exhibits from the archdiocesan estate, in
particular the "Rupertuskreuz" or St.
Rupert's crucifix (8th century) from
Bischofshofen and a winged altar with relics, the
so-called Grillinger altar (1443) from
- Sculptures and paintings from the 15th - 18th
centuries from the cultural circle of Salzburg's
Cathedral Chapter and archbishopric. A series of
Gothic sculptures, a Madonna with child by
Michael Pacher and Baroque oil paintings by
Johann Michael Rottmayr and Paul Troger deserve
- The "Art and Rarities Collection" which
is installed as a self-contained ensemble in the
southern Cathedral arches. In 1974 a collection
was set up in the original cabinets that
Archbishop Guidobald Graf Thun had made for this
room in 1663 by supplementing the show-cases with
new objects collected from the 1805 inventory
lists, providing an overall impression of 17th
Aside from the permanent inventory housed in the
building, the Cathedral museum also holds special annual
exhibitions on specific themes of art and church history.
In 1996 the focus will be on St. Rupert, an important
figure for Salzburg and far beyond.