- of the CIETA Embroidery Group
Bulletin dInformation de Groupe Broderie de CIETA
This newsletter is sent on paper for all members not having e-mail address. It gives you a summary of the of 4 e-mail letters about exhibitions and book reviews from January to June 2002. On the webpage you also find a chapter with publications of members. I want to thank Ruth Grönwoldt and Margaret Swain who kindly sent me lists of their books and articles.
The meeting of 7th and 8th June in
Paris was dedicated to the Vocabulary project. You will
find information in this letter.
Best wishes, yours
|The meeting in Paris, 7th and 8th of June 2002:
15 collegues were inscribed, one lady could not come to the meeting and one lady was not incribed and became a member.
Danièle Denise, Fontainebleau
Marie-Jo de Chaignon, Lyon
Maria Anne Privat Savigny, Ecouen
Françoise Tetart-Vittu, Paris
Jacqueline Guilloit, France
Suzanne Perkins-Gordon, Paris
Isabelle Bedat, Vanves
from Great Britain:
Rosalie Bonito Fanelli, Firenze
Thessy Schoenholzer, Firenze
from the Netherlands:
We met early on Friday afternoon in the musée
Galliera where Françoise Tetard-Vittu showed samplers
from the 19th c. and the very special
"échantillons" of gowns embroidered by
Eugénie Beauvais (see also book reviews and articles).
For the french speaking people it was not easy to discuss in english and the english collegues had a hard time to follow the spoken french. But we all felt the need to work on a Vocabulary with drawings and photos in order to know exactly what the specialist of other countries are talking about.
Summary of discussions: The meeting in Paris, 7th and 8th June 2002
I.) It is known that several institutes are
working on vocabularies:
II.) for whom is the vocabulary done:
a) at first we are going to collect embroidery
terms, expressions. We limit the work to European
countries. We are collecting basic stitches first, in
order to set up a simple vocabulary. We do not collect
regional terms. Every country will set up its own
vocabulary, and at a later date we will put these terms
III ) -At this first moment, we are doing this research work without financial sources. The aim will be a CD-ROM , as this way of publication is cheaper.
IV) - The next meeting shall be 14th and
15th February 2003 in Munich, as Birgitt Borkopp is
going to exhibit embroideries at the Bayerisches National
Books with references to embroidery stitches:
|N E W M E M B E R S :
The following new members joined
the CIETA-embroidery group:
|Q U E S T I O N S :
The small "Fasanenschlösschen" from around 1770/75 of Moritzburg (Sachsen, Germany) is going to be restored and a design for an embroidered silk wall covering is needed.
E E T I N G S :
fürs Zivile - Zur Geschichte uniformer Kleidung
als symbolische Kommunikation"
- 8th International Young
Fashion Designers Contest, Admiralteiskaya Igla
- Colloque international à
Paris, L'ornement en France au XVIIe
U C T I O N:
PARIS: mercredi 29 mai 2002 à 11 heures et à 14 heures, Drouot - Richelieu salle 1
|E X H I B I T I O N S :
Connections - 5. Internationaler Betonac-Preis, Textilmuseum
St.Gallen, 20 March to 26 May 2002
|P U B L I C A T I O N S
- "kunstreich und stylgerecht", Die Paramentenstickereien der Schwestern vom neuen Kinde Jesus aus Aachen und Simpeveld 1848-1914, in german, Petra Hesse, München 2001
- In München entworfen, in Mailand gestickt, ein Prunkreitzeug Kurfürst Maximilians I. von Bayern, von Brigitte Volk-Knüttel, in german, in: Münchner Jahrbuch der bildenden Kunst, dritte Folge Band LI 2000, Sonderdruck, p. 137-157
- Il ricamo in Italia dal XVI al XVIII secolo.
(Embroidery in Italy from 16th to 18th c.),
- John Shepley (1575-1631), Embroiderer to the High and Mighty Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, in: Textile History, 32 (2), p. 133-155, 2001 by: Patricia Wardle, in english, p. 133 - 155, 3 black and white photos,
Eine schweizerische Wollstickerei um 1600, by Sabine Philipp, and other articles on tapestries, in: Kunst + Architektur in der Schweiz, 2002/1, p. 45-50, in german, with summaries in french and italian
- William Morris og islenskir forngripir, by Elsa E. Gudjonsson, in: Arbok hins islenzka forngripafelags 1999. Reykjavik 2001. Bls.169-184. in icelandic, with english summary, William Morris and Icelandic Antiquities, p. 169-184, 10 colour illustrations. The same article was published in: Hugur og hönd 2000; without notes and English summary, and with somewhat different illustrations.
- Ottoman Embroidery, by Marianne Ellis and Jennifer Wearden, London 2001, in english, V&A publications, 144 pages, 300 x 250mm, 150 colour 12 line, ISBN 1 85177 347 9, price £30.00
- De soie, d'argent et d'or, échantillons Parisiens et robes de cour, 1800-1850, by Françoise Tetart-Vittu, in: Bruxelles et la vie urbaine, Mélonges en l'honneur d'Arlette Smolar-Meynart, Archives et Bibliothèques d'Art et d'Histoire, No 64, Bruxelles, 2001, p. 857-868
- Une chasuble, travail anglais du 15e siècle, conservée au Trésor de la Cathédrale de Liège, by Françoise Pirenne-Hulin, in french, 2 colour photos. Extrait du Bulletin de la Société des Bibliophiles Liègois, Tome XXIV, 2001, p. 79 - 86
- A propos des brodeurs parisiens de la permière
moitié du XVIIe siècle
|home newsletters||Last revised July 3rd, 2002||