ANNE WANNER'S Textiles in History / vocabulary

  Meeting in Gorizia, Italia, 17 and 18 October 2008:

  Gorizia and its Site:
one arrives in Gorizia by train from Trieste in 45 minutes
or from Venezia Mestre (change train in Monfalcone)
or from Venezia Mestre via Udine (no change) in about 2 hours

Gorizia and Points of Interest:
No 1 = Palazzo Attems Petzenstein, meeting point
No 2 = Borgo Castello ed i Musei Provinciali
No 3 = Convent of Ursulines and embroidered vestments in gold and silk
No 4 = Palazzo Coronini Cronberg

  Palazzo Atems-Petzenstein, down-town of Gorizia

The Duomo and the way uphill to the Borgo Castello

- see: Gli Attems Petzenstein e il Palazzo di cittą:
Il "gusto odierno" a Palazzo Attems Petzenstein: gli affreschi ritrovati, Raffaella Sgubin. A cura di Raffaella Sgubin, Musei Provinciali di Gorizia, 2008, ISBN: 987-88-88606-09-5

Portraits of:

Bishop Carlo Michele Attems
, mid 18th c., Narodna Galerija, Ljubljana

Lodovico Attems, mid 18th c.,
Narodna Galerija, Ljubljana

Sigismondo Attems, mid 18th c.,
Narodna Galerija, Ljubljana

Maria Gioseffa Attems, born Lantieri,
mid 18th c., Narodna Galerija, Ljubljana

exhibition in Palazzo Attems Petzenstein
10 Novemver 2007 until 24 March 2008.

- Exhibition Catalogue: Abitare il 700, Musei Provinciali di Gorizia, 2008. A cura di Rafffaella Sgubin. 332 pages, in italian - ISBN 978-88-88606-10-0
Abbigliare il Settecento
, is one of several articles, it was written by Thessy Schoenholzer Nichols and Raffaella Sgubin, page 275-331.

  Borgo Castello on the hill,
is the oldest part of the town.

Entrance to the Borgo Castello with coat of arms of the Habsburg Family

From here one has a splendid view over the town (baroque church Saint Ignatius)
  The "Museo della Moda e delle Arti Applicate" is situated on the top of the hill as well

View from the other side of the hill
towards Nova Goricia, which is in Slovenia

Cover of Museum Guide
see: Gorizia, Museo della Moda, e delle Arti Applicate, by Raffaella Sgubin, Trieste 2005

Examples of bobbin lace, 17th c. from convent of Ursulines, MPG inv. GC 34/25

Gold Embroidery, convent of Ursulines, around 1760, MPG, inv.53/17, 106
The "Museo della Moda ed Arti applicati" on the hill, above the town of Gorizia

preserves a very interesting wooden machine for the fabrication of gold thread.
  Ursuline convent in Gorizia
and carefully preserved baroque embroideries.

Richly embroidered vestments in gold, silver and silk: second part of 18th century

There are also applied embroideries from the time of Maria Theresia of Austria

see: Dorit Koehler, Die Paramentenstiftungen der Kaiserin Maria Theresia von Oesterreich,
Internationale Hochschulschriften, Bd. 261,

Waxmann Verlag 1998 (ISBN 3-89325-581-8), 259 pages, 58 black and white pictures,
Thesis of Dorit Koehler from Muenster, Germany:
art historian, and textile restorer


Applied silk fabrics with satin stitch


In the museum there are preserved almost 200 designs for embroidery of the Ursulines.

see: Inchiostro, Seta e Oro, Ricami e Cartoni da Ricamo dal Monastero di Sant'Orsola, by Raffaella Sgubin, 2001

Gold and silver embroideries from the convent of the Ursulines
and very often exactly matching designs
preserved in the "Museo della Moda ed Arti applicati"
  Palazzo Coronini Cronberg lies in the centre of Gorizia, in the suburb of Grafenberg.    
  Trough the 18c gate and along the path that crosses the picturesque romantic park, the visitor reaches the historical mansion whose austere main entrance is refined by four diorite columns dating back to the
2nd c AD.
The Park was created by Count Alfredo Coronini (1846-1920) a cosmopolitan traveller and careful connoisseur of the most famous European gardens.
Since the beginning the park both impoved the local prestige of the Coronini family and embellished the town which, in the second half of the 19 c. was untergoing big urban transformations in order to put itsef forward as "the Austrian Nice", a welcoming mild climate health resort. The fondazione owns rich collections of drawings, prints, coins, jewellery, clothes as well as furniture,and laces, that at the moment are not on display, but they could be shown in temporary exhibitions.

see: Vanitą e decoro, Merletti antichi dalle collezioni Coronini Cronberg di Gorizia, Catalogo a cura di Cristina Bragaglia Venuti e Marina Vidoni, 2007

Nr 14, Detail from bodice, Inv.Nr. 2650,
Bruxelles, end of 19th c.

Nr 7, Collar and detail. Inv.Nr. 2305,
Venice, middle 19th c.

Cover page of Catalogue

  Wikipedia about Gorizia:
In the year 1500, the dynasty of the Counts of Gorizia died out and their County passed to Austrian Habsburg rule. Under the Habsburg dominion, the town spread out at the foot of the castle. In mid 16th century, Gorizia emerged as a centre of Protestand Reformation. After the suppression of the Patriarchate of Aquileia in 1751, the town became an important Roman Catholic religious centre.
Many new palaces were built conveying to the town the typical late Baroque appearance which characterized it up to World War One.

The Transalpina railway square, divided by an international border. The old railway station once belonged to Gorizia.

This line connected the town of Gorizia to the Austro-Hungarian capital Vienna.
  Italy entered World War I on the Allied side, and Gorizia was seriously damaged and changed hands again in 1916 as the front line ran in its area.
In September 1943, the town was shortly occupied by the Slovene partisan resistance, but soon fell under Nazi German administration. After a brief occupation by the Yugoslav partisans in May and June 1945, the administration was transferred to the Allies until September 1947. Several peripherical districts of the Gorizia municipality were handed over to the Socialist Yugoslavia, together with much of the Province of Gorizia's territory. The national border was thus drawn just off the town centre, putting Gorizia into
a peripheral zone.

With the breakup of Yugoslavia, the frontier remained as the division between Italy and Slovenia

until the implementation of the Schengen Agreement by Slovenia on 21 December 2007.


home Last revised October 28, 2008